Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Weekend Fun

I got back to the hotel room late Sunday night and was traveling home on Monday, so that moved Monday's post to today. Hey, it's my blog, so I can do what I want, right? Anyway, I downloaded my pictures and thought I would share...


Someone's Memorial Day weekend didn't start out so well, though. We passed this "event" on the way to Gatlinburg (between Dayton and Cincinnati). Traffic slowed down on our side (rubber-neckers anyone?) and I was able to snap some pictures.


I can't even imagine what would cause a fire to occur in the middle of the trailer.


A shot of Cade's Cove (Smoky Mountains).


One of the few remaining cabins still standing in Cade's Cove. I believe this was built in 1818.


The owner of this small cabin raised 13 children here. Can you believe the stairs?


This is the ceiling to the church, below (which was built around 1837 -- if I remember correctly). If you look closely, you should be able to spot some handprints. Apparently this was caused by the sap on the wood.


Many of the citizens of Cade's Cove are buried in this cemetery.


A walk in the woods. Figured I should take a picture since my focus was on the ground (didn't want to trip over a root or something!).


Me and my hubby. It's so green, isn't it?


Me and my hubby at the old mill in Cade's Cove, which still works, too.


All that traveling through Cade's Cove, and not one bear was spotted. We had to go to Ober Gatlinburg to find this little fella. He's sleeping on the branch!


A Memorial Weekend trip isn't complete unless we attend a baseball game. This time we visited the Tennessee Smokies (the AA team of the Chicago Cubs).

Our seats were right behind home plate. Afterward, they set off some fireworks. Good thing the home team won; made for a perfect night!

See... I don't even take that great of pictures on a holiday trip! Hope you enjoy them anyway.

It was a fun and busy weekend. I've been to Gatlinburg before, but never really walked down the street or ate at any of the restaurants (and there are plenty of restaurants there!). I've been to Ober Gatlinburg, but it was fun to ride the ski lift again and then ride the alpine slide on the way down. We managed to get all that in before the rain came (lucked out there). Actually, we lucked out in lots of places, always managing to arrive before the crowds (and man, was it crowded!!). Before leaving yesterday, we stopped and played some putt-putt golf and then rode some go carts (that was FUN!!). I felt like a kid, really.

So, what makes you feel like a kid?

Hope your weekend was fun!


Stacy

 



10 comments:

JeffO said...

Glad you had such a good time--too bad about that truck, though.

I passed a car fire on the Grand Central Parkway once. The car was actually off the road and was completely engulfed in flames. I drove past in the far left lane and still felt the heat. Kinda scary.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Fire is always scary to me. Well...except for when it's keeping me warm. Then, maybe not so much! :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I love Cades Cove! The Over Gatlinburg cable car is fun too. Looks like you had a great weekend!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I did have a great weekend. It had been awhile since we visited the area. Pigeon Forge has really grown! They even have a Hard Rock Cafe!! :)

dolorah said...

Looks like fun - except the fire. Scary scary.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great trip!

I feel like a kid when I read until I fall asleep. I don't do that often enough these days...

Stacy McKitrick said...

Donna - Yeah, fire not so fun.

Laura - I just feel OLD when I fall asleep reading! Haha!

Maria Zannini said...

I love visiting old pioneer homes. I can't even imagine how they managed with so little.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - You and me both! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

I still want to play put-put golf but haven't yet. Looks like a great time. Love the bear.