Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Wednesday Reads, Taxes, and a Movie

Well, yesterday was a big waste of time. Okay, maybe not a waste—I did have to do the taxes—but it took so freakin’ long! I didn’t finish until 4pm. By that time I didn’t even want to write, so I read instead. Had to reward myself somehow.

Then later, after my hubby came home from work, we went to see "McFarland, USA" at the theatre ($5.50 Tuesdays). That was a good movie and I highly recommend it. I love those feel-good movies and this was definitely that.

Okay, on to what I read this week (I’m still TWO books ahead of schedule, too—whoo hoo!):

Allegiance by Susannah Sandlin
Mar 5: “Allegiance” by Susannah Sandlin, #4 of the Penton Legacy Series, a paranormal romance at 322 pages long. Blurb from book: British vampire psychiatrist and former mercenary Cage Reynolds returns to Penton, Alabama, looking for a permanent home. The town has been ravaged by the ongoing vampire war and the shortage of untainted human blood, and now the vampires and humans that make up the Omega Force are trying to rebuild. Cage hopes to help the cause, put down roots in Penton, and resolve his relationship with Melissa Calvert. The last thing he expects to find himself drawn to Robin Ashton, a trash-talking eagle shape-shifter and new Omega recruit. Meanwhile, as a dangerous saboteur wreaks havoc in Penton, the ruthless Vampire Tribunal leader Matthias Ludlam has been freed on the eve of his scheduled execution. But by whom? And to what end? As war and chaos rage on, love isn’t something Cage is looking for, but will his attention to Robin distract him from the danger living among them? I like this series and the characters who have been featured before. This book was good, too. Had lots of suspense. I just wish it had a little more romance. Not sure if the series is finished yet. If it isn’t, I’ll grab the next one for sure (and hope for more romance!).

The Immortal Who Loved Me by Lynsay Sands
Mar 8: “The Immortal Who Loved Me,” by Lynsay Sands, #21 of the Argeneau Vampire Series, a paranormal romance at 357 pages long. Blurb from book: A few hours ago, Sherry Carne would have sworn that vampires didn’t exist. That’s before rogue immortals rampage through her store, leaving bloody chaos (literally) in their wake. The kicker comes when Sherry learns that one of the vamps on the bad guys’ trail may be her life mate. Her head says it’s impossible. The rest of her takes one look at Basileios Argeneau and has much more interesting ideas. Whatever Basil expected in a life mate, funny, outspoken Sherry isn’t it. But mind-blowing chemistry and instinct don’t lie. They tell him something else, too—that Sherry’s connection to the immortal world goes deeper than she knows. And that she’s in the kind of danger only Basil can save her from—if she’ll just trust him, now and forever… Oooooohhhhhh, I just LOVED this book. It’s been awhile since I could just sit and read (finishing my edits might have helped in that regard). So glad it happened with this book, because I would have had a hard time putting it down otherwise. It was one sexy and funny read. This is one of those series I could re-read back-to-back-to-back if I didn’t have a ton of other books to read!

So… Have you filed your taxes? It took me 5 hours to complete mine. Actually, it’s taking longer than that. I still have to file them all (I wanted the hubby to look them over before I did that). I’m using software, too! What. A. Pain. I can only imagine how long it would have taken me if I did it manually. If I ever start making real money with this writing gig (real money=profit), I may just go out and get myself an accountant.

Happy reading!

Stacy

10 comments:

JeffO said...

Taxes filed. We use an accountant. Once we bought a house and started a business, it was necessary, otherwise I'd probably be in jail for gross negligence.

The worst tax years occurred some years ago, when we moved from New York to Connecticut. I worked in New York. I had to file federal forms and forms for 2 states, plus the Connecticut one had all these crazy "Partial Year Resident" stuff that drove me crazy. Bleah.

Maria Zannini said...

I think we're going to do our taxes next week. We need to gird our loins for that. LOL.

Re: Lynsay Sands
I've always loved her work. I hadn't read this one though.

DL Hammons said...

I'm planning to do our taxes this week. UGH! :(

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Got my stuff collected a couple weeks ago, and already back from the accountant and filed, yay! With five small businesses, I can't imagine doing this myself. Good on you for getting it done!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I hated filing state taxes when we moved. Oh heck, I hate filling ALL taxes! Haha!

Maria - I love most of Lynsay's books. Even her historicals, and I'm not a big fan of those.

DL - Have fun! ;)

Jennette - I may talk to you about your accountant. If he/she isn't expensive, I may just go that route next year. Especially since hubby has started his own business! Ugh!

The Happy Whisk said...

I just got your comment of food. You are funny. You don't mean cardboard or tin foil, but food, eh?

Good stuff.

Glad you got your taxes done, we haven't yet but last year we did online software and loved it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Well... I did aim to make you laugh with that "food" comment. Glad I succeeded.

The Happy Whisk said...

You did. You always crack me up.

LD Masterson said...

I'm lucky. My hubby is one of those financial types so he does our taxes. I just have to gather all my relevant expenses, incomes, etc. and give it to him.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - I'm one of those financial types, too (have a BS in Accounting), but I HATE taxes. Always have. Too many freakin' rules and they change all the time.